Lead Software Security Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2023
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving, diverse team pushing the frontiers of artificial intelligence. At Twelve Labs, our mission is to help developers build programs that can see, listen, and understand the world as we do by bringing the world’s most powerful video understanding infrastructure to market. As a part of achieving this mission, we are building foundation AI models that can accurately and instantly search exact moments within petabytes of video archives, generate coherent text summaries of videos, perform prompt-based video generation, and many more. The Twelve Labs platform provides access to its Large Visual Language Models (VLMs) through a suite of APIs that are trained on massive video datasets and learn to understand the meaning and context behind the visuals, conversations, and sounds within videos.
Twelve Labs recently raised $17M in seed funding, recognized as one of CB Insights’ AI 100 companies within a year of its founding, and secured a massive compute resource through partnering with Oracle. We are hyper focused on delivering the Twelve Labs platform to our customers so they can build video understanding into their products and power dream features they could have only imagined.
Part of the pathway to our rapid growth has been paved by the outstanding group of people united by the company’s mission. Beyond prominent venture capital firms such as Index Ventures and Radical Ventures, the Twelve Labs mission is backed by category building luminaries like Fei-Fei Li (Stanford HAI), Silvio Savarese (Salesforce), Oren Etzioni (AI2), Alexandr Wang (Scale), Lukas Biewald (W&B), Jack Conte (Patreon) and more.
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment where our team members can bring their full selves to work, bring out their potential, and most importantly, thrive together. We welcome kind, brilliant, and open minded people from all walks of life to our team. If joining this mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply!
About the Role:
As the Lead Software Security Engineer at Twelve Labs, you will be at the forefront of pioneering efforts to fortify and uphold the security and compliance standards for our cutting-edge AI models. You will play a pivotal role in devising systems that prioritize security by conducting robust security evaluations, architecting resilient security infrastructure, cultivating secure-by-default frameworks, and embedding the principle of least privilege. You will have the unique opportunity to shape the direction and protocols for AI security, trailblazing new pathways in both an emergent field and a fresh, dynamic team.
AI and Model Development Security:
• Secure Model Development Environment: Design and implement security measures throughout the model development cycle, from training data protection to safeguarding the training and deployment code. Ensure that the AI/ML pipelines are impervious to unauthorized access and potential breaches.
• Protection of Trained Model Weights: Develop strategies and controls to safeguard the weights of trained models.
Software Development Security:
• Security Policies & Procedures: Shape policies and procedures to embed security into product design, infrastructure, and employee practices.
• Secure Software Development Environment: Construct and maintain a security-centric software development environment, emphasizing safe coding practices and preempts potential security threats from inception.
System Security & Compliance:
• Customer Data Protection and Compliance: Architect rigorous protocols to safeguard customer data, ensuring our processes and products always align with leading compliance standards, including SOC2, GDPR, and ISO.
• Security Assessments & Fix Vulnerability : Regularly perform penetration testing and security audits to detect and remediate vulnerabilities, fortifying our commitment to unmatched system security.
• Secure Deployments: Drive the blueprint and rollout of watertight strategies for on-premise deployments. This will involve comprehensive licensing validation mechanisms, advanced code encryption and obfuscation, and model encryption to restrict unauthorized codebase access.
You may be a good fit if you:
- +10 years in the industry working on security, privacy, and engineering
- Experience building internal security tooling
- Established secure software and system development environments in the past.
- Knowledge of designing control and sandboxing systems for AI research
- Experience enforcing security policies in an organization
- Strong verbal and written communications and leadership skills
- Have supported fast-paced startup engineering teams
- Have solid understanding and practical experience with compliance frameworks like SOC2, GDPR, and ISO
- Care about AI safety risk scenarios
Interview and Onboarding Process
Recruiter Phone Screen -> Hiring Manager Call -> Technical Interview and/or Take Home Assignment -> Culture Interview -> Reference Checks
We're also excited to share that we'll do global onboarding in Seoul for all new hires (company-sponsored travel).
Even If there are a few checkboxes that aren’t ticked through your prior experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you are a 0-to-1 achiever, a ferocious learner, and a kind and fun team player who motivates others, you will find a home at Twelve Labs.
We welcome applicants from all walks of life and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We cherish and celebrate diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because it makes our company much stronger.
Benefits and Perks
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment.
🧑💻 Work closely with a collaborative, mission-driven team on cutting-edge AI technology.
🦷 Full health, dental, and vision benefits
✈️ Extremely flexible PTO and parental leave policy. Office closed the week of Christmas and New Years.
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in San Francisco and Seoul and coworking stipend
🛂 VISA support (such as H1B and OPT transfer for US employees)