Software Engineer, Product
Software Engineering, Product
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2023
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving, diverse team pushing the frontiers of artificial intelligence. At Twelve Labs, our mission is to help developers build programs that can see, listen, and understand the world as we do by bringing the world’s most powerful video understanding infrastructure to market. As a part of achieving this mission, we are building foundation AI models that can accurately and instantly search exact moments within petabytes of video archives, generate coherent text summaries of videos, perform prompt-based video generation, and many more. The Twelve Labs platform provides access to its Large Visual Language Models (VLMs) through a suite of APIs that are trained on massive video datasets and learn to understand the meaning and context behind the visuals, conversations, and sounds within videos.
Twelve Labs recently raised $17M in seed funding, recognized as one of CB Insights’ AI 100 companies within a year of its founding, and secured a massive compute resource through partnering with Oracle. We are hyper focused on delivering the Twelve Labs platform to our customers so they can build video understanding into their products and power dream features they could have only imagined.
Part of the pathway to our rapid growth has been paved by the outstanding group of people united by the company’s mission. Beyond prominent venture capital firms such as Index Ventures and Radical Ventures, the Twelve Labs mission is backed by category building luminaries like Fei-Fei Li (Stanford HAI), Silvio Savarese (Salesforce), Oren Etzioni (AI2), Alexandr Wang (Scale), Lukas Biewald (W&B), Jack Conte (Patreon) and more.
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment where our team members can bring their full selves to work, bring out their potential, and most importantly, thrive together. We welcome kind, brilliant, and open minded people from all walks of life to our team. If joining this mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply!
About the Role:
As a Software Engineer - Product at Twelve Labs, you will play a crucial role in the Product & Engineering Team, where your main focus will be building and managing core services essential to our products, such as API and Playground. Your responsibility will be to ensure stability, meeting SLA and performance requirements, and scalability of our services to accommodate large traffic. This involves operating and managing the services, and packaging the software in a manner that allows it to be hosted in diverse environments - multi-cloud, multi-region, and on-premise.
Design and Develop Twelve Lab’s Video Understanding Platform’s Core Service Components:
• Build APIs that are easy for developers to understand and use, ensuring that our robust Video Foundation Model can be easily grasped even by those without a background in machine learning.
• Write billing, email, and other integrations with third party providers such as Stripe, Twilio, Auth0, etc.
• Implement tools and processes to monitor model behavior and performance.
• Collaborate with researchers to improve interfaces based on interactions with real users.
Construct MSA-based Backend Systems for Scalable Service in Diverse Environments:
• Build a SaaS Platform using cloud-based container services (like EKS, ECS, etc.) for general users.
• Consider service packaging for on-premise service operations targeting enterprise customers.
Service Operations and Improvements for Global Availability:
• Optimize API performance, service logic, and Process Utilization to enhace throughput.
• Collaboratively build a Massive Traffic Distributed System capable of real-time processing of large-scale data.
You may be a good fit if you have:
- 3+ years of backend development and operations
- Experience in Go
- Experience in designing and developing RESTful APIs
- Experience with NoSQL databases (Mongo, Elasticsearch, etc.)
- Familiarity with cloud environments for service development and operations.
- Proficiency in English, enabling smooth communication with diverse languages on teams
- 5+ years of backend development and operations
- Proficiency in Golang
- Experience in implementing servers based on OpenAPI
- Experience in designing, developing, and operating with MSA
- Hands-on experience troubleshooting large-scale traffic
- Familiarity with CI/CD and automation processes
Relevant Tech Stacks
- Language: Go
- DB: MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Redis, RabbitMQ, Kafka
- Cloud: AWS, GCP, Kubernetes, DataDog
Interview and Onboarding Process
Recruiter Phone Screen -> Hiring Manager Call -> Technical Interview and/or Take Home Assignment -> Culture Interview -> Reference Checks
We're also excited to share that we'll do global onboarding in Seoul for all new hires (company-sponsored travel).
Even If there are a few checkboxes that aren’t ticked through your prior experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you are a 0-to-1 achiever, a ferocious learner, and a kind and fun team player who motivates others, you will find a home at Twelve Labs.
We welcome applicants from all walks of life and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We cherish and celebrate diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because it makes our company much stronger.
Benefits and Perks
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment.
🧑💻 Work closely with a collaborative, mission-driven team on cutting-edge AI technology.
🦷 Full health, dental, and vision benefits
✈️ Extremely flexible PTO and parental leave policy. Office closed the week of Christmas and New Years.
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in San Francisco and Seoul and coworking stipend
🛂 VISA support (such as H1B and OPT transfer for US employees)